How to Make Vegan Chili
For many of us, Chili is usually the ultimate fall food. A chilly and breezy autumn evening often begs for a great big bowl of hot, simmering chili.
This hearty, delicious and veggie-packed chili would fill your whole home with the incredible smell of a tasty home-cooked meal as well as warm you to the core. It is the type of food that is ideal to heat up and comfortably hunker down on your couch with a cozy blanket to watch your favorite TV series.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped large red bell pepper
- 1 chopped medium red onion
- 2 chopped medium carrots
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 chopped ribs celery
- 4 pressed or minced cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large can (or about 30 ounces) or two small cans (about 15 ounces each) nicely diced tomatoes, along with their juices
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cans of black beans (15 ounces each), rinsed and drained
- 1 can of pinto beans (15 ounce), rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tsp red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar or lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus a little more for garnishing
- For garnishing: sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, crème fraîche or sour cream, and grated cheddar cheese
- In a big Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, start warming the olive oil until it is shimmering. Then add the chopped bell pepper, onion, carrot, celery and a quarter teaspoon salt.
- Start stirring to combine and then cook until all the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about seven to ten minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and smoked paprika. Cook it until fragrant and keep stirring constantly, about one minute.
- Add tomato juice and diced tomatoes, the pinto beans and the drained black beans, bay leaf and vegetable broth.
- Stir gradually to combine the ingredients and let this mixture come to a nice simmer.
- Continue to cook, and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat if needed to maintain a good, gentle simmer, for about thirty minutes. And then remove the chili from the heat.
- To get the best flavor and texture, transfer one and half cups of chili to your blender and blend it until smooth, and then pour this blended mixture back into your pot.
- Now add all the chopped cilantro, and stir gently to blend. After that mix in some vinegar and salt, to taste.
- Divide this mixture into separate bowls and serve it with any garnishes that you like. This vegan chili would keep well in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Serve it up and Enjoy!!